As most everyone has heard, we lost a Pop-culture icon, Dick Clark, yesterday. Famous folks from all walks are lauding him and remembering him. The most amazing tributes are coming from singers and musicians who as teenagers got their first national exposure from Mr. Clark.
Little known, and little addressed, Dick Clark was a true animal lover. He was known to bring his beloved dogs to work every day.
Clark liked to name his pets after hit songs:
- Molly Molly – Little Richard’s “Good Golly, Miss Molly”
- Maybelline – Chuck Berry’s “Maybelline”
- Eleanor – the Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby”
- Henry the 8th – Herman’s Hermits’ “I’m Henry VIII, I Am”
- Arthur – “Arthur’s Theme”
- Jonesy – Billy Paul’s “Me and Mrs. Jones”
- Leroy – Jim Croce’s “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown”
One person who seems oddly relieved that Dick Clark has passed is Shirley MacLaine… or at least the dog owner, Shirley MacLaine said on the red carpet last night: “Well now I can walk past his house in Malibu and his dogs won’t attack mine. That’s one good thing.”
Most of us will miss Dick Clark.